The good news: the primary tumor was removed last Friday using a radical orchiectomy.
The bad news: I am still waiting on lab work to come back to determine if I still have it.
I had my follow up on Tuesday with my urologist, who referred me to a good oncologist friend of his (who happened to be in the same building and saw us on a walk-in basis). The oncologist explained that the cure rate for this cancer was upwards of 98%, and since they know very little about what activates the germ cells in the the testicles to grow, the cure rate is suprisingly high and it was extremely predictable.
He explained that the spread of the cancer was so predictable that they even know where to look next, and what lab work to run, and that even a small spike in the lab work is enough indication to start chemotherapy (which is the only option for the type of cell I have) and that chemo is extremely effective in eliminating this type of cell.
So, now I wait. Today (when this is posting) I have an appointment with the lab workers to draw more blood so they can check my markers. NEXT Friday I have a chest x-ray and more lab draws. If the lab draws some back normal, I am in what is called “surveillance.” If they are still messed up, it indicates active disease, and I will receive chemotherapy soon after that.
Pray that it doesn’t get that far.